Here are some tips for you all before you shop online! :)
Shopping online offers saving and convenience to both consumers and businesses. This is especially handy when you're shopping. However, bear in mind that it is important to understand your rights as a consumer. Remember that staying safe while shopping online is paramount.
- Go through blog reviews. It is best to visit blog reviews because they provide you all kinds of blog shops information.
- Know the business, make sure it is legitimate. Shop at a trusted site rather than shopping using a search engine. Check their contact info, a legitimate company will have a physical mailing address, and a phone number that works.
- Be secure, protect your online credit card transaction and identity. Most major browser will have a lock sign that tells you if the transaction itself is indeed encrypted. Click on those security signs posted on merchant websites, and if the site is legitimate, it will take you to the accreditation site, confirming the side is indeed accredited and safe.
- Read the FAQ and fine print. These should answer basic concern about shipping rates, return policies, and payment security. Look carefully for any fine print or special terms and conditions. If a site does not offer this info, contact them and inquire about the merchant's policies. If no info is provided on these, look elsewhere for a more proficient seller.
- Keep records. Print or save dealings of your online transaction, including the product description, price, online receipt, terms of the sale, and copies of any email exchange with the seller. Read your credit card statements as soon as you get them to make sure no unauthorized charges. If there is, call your bank and report it immediately.
- Be wary of emails requesting information. Attackers may attempt to gather information by sending emails requesting that you confirm purchase or account information. Legitimate businesses will not solicit this type of information through email. Contact the merchant directly if you are alerted to a problem. Use contact information found on your account statement, not in the email.
- Update your system and security. Before you shop online, make sure you have a security suite (firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware) installed and updated with the most current information. Also, keep your operating system and Web browser up-to-date. Apply the highest level of security available that still gives you the functionality you need.
- Turn off your computer when you are done shopping. Many people leave their computers running and connected to the Internet all day and night. This gives scammers 24/7 access to your computer to install malware and commit cyber crimes. To be safe, turn off your computer when you are not using it.